Nominations are now open!
Every year on December 3, the International Day of Persons with Disabilities, the Canadian Labour Congress will recognize a union member for their disability rights activism.
This award is named in honour of Carol McGregor, an outstanding disability rights activist, member of NUPGE and the CLC Disability Rights Working Group, and who was much loved by all those who worked with her. Carol passed away in 2006, and this award lives on in her name to recognize the incredible disability justice activism in our communities. 2023 marks the twelfth anniversary of the Carol McGregor CLC Disability Rights Award.
In 2022, the award recognized CUPE Local 1294 activist Sylvain Le May. Sylvain is a union activist with over 17 years of expertise in advocating for disability rights in the post-secondary education sector in Quebec. Sylvain’s tremendous accomplishments in the field of disability rights as an activist were also recognized in 2010 by the Office of persons with disabilities in Quebec with an honorary award assigned to the unit he coordinated at his workplace for its disability inclusion work.
Criteria for the 2023 award:
Award recipient will be a worker with a disability who is:
- Active in the labour movement and/or community.
- Has made a significant and lasting impact in the union and/or community by promoting and defending the rights of persons with disabilities.
- Has manifested their activism in one or more of the following ways:
- Strategized and mobilized others around workplace issues and lobbying for the full participation of Canadians with disabilities in all aspects of society.
- Developed and/or practiced organizing strategies to include tactics aimed specifically at advancing disability justice in the workplace.
- Represented members to ensure all activities and events are accessible to members with disabilities and promoting employment equity for people with disabilities within the workplace.
- Educated members about disability justice issues in the workplace and in society.
Any union member or organization may nominate a candidate.
All nominations must be received by the deadline, November 3, 2023. Complete nomination forms must be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org